It is with pleasure, that we are privileged to recount the career of the intelligent and industrious young farmer and agriculturist named above. He was born in Illinois, on November 30, 1875, being the son of Abraham A. and Ruth (Brooks) Frye. The father was born in Pennsylvania and died in Nez Perces County in January, 1895. The mother was born in Kentucky and still lives in this County.

Our subject came to Moscow with his parents in 1878 and there received his educational training. His father bought eighty acres on the present site of Moscow and started a liven and feed stable. He built the Star stable and also operated a hotel. He bought land around Moscow and in 1894 sold to Latah County the farm now used as the poor farm. Then he removed to the place where our subject now lives, four miles northeast from Lewiston, and that has been the family home since that time. After the father’s death Charles took charge of the farm and now, in connection with his brother, he is farming the land and raising stock. They do a general farming business, raise all crops that do well in this section, handle cattle, hogs, sheep and horses, and are prosperous and well to do citizens of the County.

On December 21, 1898, Mr. Frye married Miss Nettie, daughter of John and Ida (Strong) Miller. The father, who was born in Pennsylvania, is a miller by trade and is now operating a mill at Dublin, Idaho. The mother was born in Illinois. Mrs. Frye was born in Lewiston, in 1879, and has two brothers and two sisters, Iva, Veva, Earl, Frank, Mr. Frye has the following named brothers and sisters: Thomas, William, Abram A., Walter, Bertha Bell and Pearl Gardner. To Mr. and Mrs. Frye two children have been born, Irene and Marion.

Mr. Frye is an active and influential Republican and is ever on the side of progress, both in schools and government. He had one uncle, Mr. Brooks, in the Civil war.

Back to: Nez Perce Biographies

Source: An Illustrated History of Northern Idaho, Embracing Nez Perce, Idaho, Latah, Kootenai and Shoshone Counties, Western Historical Publishing Company, 1903