The subject of this sketch was born in Barbour County, West Virginia, on July 18, 1853, being the son of David and Amanda (Carter) Wilson, natives of West Virginia and Virginia, respectively. The father was born in Barbour County in 1822, and his father was born there also. The mother of our subject was born in 1821 and died in 1886. In 1866 the family removed to Clay County, Indiana, where the father bought land and farmed.
Benjamin here grew to manhood and received his education in the public schools. He took up farming for himself at the age of twenty and when he was thirty-two he went to Adair County, Missouri, and there tilled for five years. It was in 1890 that Mr. Wilson determined to try the west for himself and accordingly migrated to Tekoa, Washington, and there farmed until the reservation opened. His success was excellent and when the reservation was ready for settlers he came to the vicinity of Lapwai and secured a claim which he sold in 1901 and bought his present place, two miles west and two south from Melrose. He has a good orchard and is putting out more. Mr. Wilson has a nice bunch of stock and is breeding them up to fine specimens.
While in Missouri, in 1886, Mr. Wilson married Miss Dora B., daughter of Henry and Martha (Heuitt) Mustoe, natives of Virginia. They were pioneers in Missouri. Mrs. Wilson was born in Missouri, in 1863 and has two brothers and one sister, William, Albert and Loretta Page. Mr. Wilson has two brothers and one sister, Robert, James B., Hellen Riley. Two children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Wilson, Ethel and Blanch, both at home. Mr. Wilson is a Mason: has been school trustee and in politics is an active Democrat of the Jeffersonian type. He is a man of good qualities, has done a good work in this County and elsewhere, maintains a first class reputation, has the confidence of his fellows and is a genial, pleasant gentleman of intelligence and worth.
Source: An Illustrated History of North Idaho: Embracing Nez Perce, Idaho, Latah, Kootenai and Shoshone counties, state of Idaho; Western Historical Publishing Company, 1903