William H. Davison is one of the well known men of the state of Idaho, being at the present time host of the Raymond Hotel in Lewiston, which is doubtless doing as fine a business as any hostelry in the state, on account of the skill and ability of the manager. He is a man of uprightness and many attractive qualities. William H. was born in Mokelumne Hill, Calaveras County, California, on October 11, 1856, being the son of James W. and Mary E. (West) Davison. The father was born in England, on May 3, 1831, came to the United States when three years of age and died March 13, 1900. The mother was born in New York in 1833 and died in Placerville, Idaho, in 1888. The parents came to Idaho, via Portland and The Dalles, and thence by stage to Placerville, where the father mined for two years and then opened a hotel, which he operated for twenty years. Our subject was early trained in the arts of a host and also acquired his education from the San Francisco schools. Then, after 1886, our subject removed to Boise and opened the Central Hotel. One year later he went to the mines and remained for four years. Then he returned to Boise and conducted a restaurant successfully for seven years. On February 19, 1897, Mr. Davison took charge of the De France, which had fallen into a bad state through mismanagement; in a short time our subject had it on a paying basis and soon a very popular house. On April 4, 1901, Mr. Davison took charge of the Raymond House, which he is operating at the present time with most excellent success. The house is well appointed and the skill, ability, executive force and affability of the host is felt in every department and is one of the most comfortable places for travelers to be found in the west. On April 25, 1899, Mr. Davison married Annie Smith Pierce, daughter of Scott and Rebecca Smith, at Lewiston. Mrs. Davison has brothers and sisters as follows: William, Clarence, Mary Ormsby, of Boise; Nellie Thomas and Mrs. Villa Isham, of Grants Pass, Oregon: Mrs. W. R. Thomas, of Lewiston. Mr. Davison has brothers and sisters as follows: Thomas, died August 4, 1877; Mrs. John Myer, of Boise. Mr. Davison is affiliated with the I. O. O. F., and has been for twenty-five years, joining at Placerville in Covenant Lodge, No. 6. He attended the grand lodge in Portland as delegate in 1878, staging most of the way. He joined the Elks, in February, 1902. In political matters Mr. Davison is allied with the Republicans, but is not partisan, believing in sound principles and good men wherever put forth and nominated. He is interested in mining at Buffalo Hump and at Wood River.
Source: An Illustrated History of Northern Idaho, Embracing Nez Perce, Idaho, Latah, Kootenai and Shoshone Counties, Western Historical Publishing Company, 1903