William Buoye is one of the first settlers in that portion of Nez Perces County where he now resides, “having come here in 1878, taking a homestead four miles west from where Leland is located today. Mr. Buoye built the first cabin in the big Potlatch prairie and was the second one taking land north of the Clearwater and east from the Potlatch.
Our subject was born in Dodge County, Wisconsin, near Fox Lake, on March 7, 1848, being the son of Frank and Elizabeth (Cardwell) Buoye. The father was one of the early settlers in that vicinity and was occupied in tilling the soil. It was 1868 when the family came to Blue Earth County, Minnesota, making settlement near Garden City. There the parents died.
Our subject remained until 1877, in which year he determined to try his fortunes in the west, and so came to Puget Sound, where he spent one year and then in 1878, came to the territory now embraced in Nez Perces County. He devoted himself to the culture of his homestead and it has been the family home since, with the exception of the years from 1883 to 1888, when he was in Lapwai working for the government as a carpenter. He now has one half section of fine farm land well improved, good buildings, choice orchard, and is one of the prominent men of his section.
The marriage of Mr. Buoye and Miss Esther, daughter of James and Rose (McDonald) Davis, was solemnized in Mankato, Minnesota, on February 14, 1883, and they have become the parents of three children. William M., eight years of age, and Edna D. and Everd D, twins. Mrs. Buoye is a native of Dodge County, Wisconsin, when she was taken while young by her parents to Blue Earth County, Minnesota. Her father died there, but her mother is still living. Mr. Buoye is one of the leading citizens of his vicinity and stands well, being a man of integrity and sound principles. In addition to general farming and fruit raising, he raises cattle, sheep and hogs.
Source: An Illustrated History of Northern Idaho, Embracing Nez Perce, Idaho, Latah, Kootenai and Shoshone Counties, Western Historical Publishing Company, 1903