One of the popular and esteemed citizens of Gifford is named at the head of this article and his geniality and public spirit have won for him hosts of friends in all sections where he is known.
Robert M. Cleveland was born in Monroe County, Tennessee, on March 6, 1866, being the son of Larkin J. and Minerva (Parker) Cleveland. He was educated in the public schools at Golden City, Missouri, and then took a complete course in civil engineering. Three years were spent after he was twenty in railroad work, and then he was engaged in buying poultry and in the nursery business for a year.
In 1889 Mr. Cleveland came west to Colfax, Washington. Then he operated as baggage man, express messenger, brakeman, fireman, and so forth for three years and after this returned to Whitman County and rented land for a time. We next see him in the Potlatch country, and there he bought a quarter and when the reservation opened Mr. Cleveland came to his present place, one half mile south from Gifford, and on October 18, 1895, filed on it. He has made a fine farm which is very valuable and a good dividend producer. Mr. Cleveland is one of the substantial and leading men of the community.
On March 11, 1890, Mr. Cleveland married Miss Minnie C, daughter of Jacob E. and Myra (Baldwin) Brake, the wedding occurring in Colfax. Mrs. Cleveland was born in Newton County, Missouri, on March 3, 1869. Her father was a native of Ohio and her mother of Canada. She has one sister: Ella, wife of Harvey W. Doolen, of Missouri. Mr. Cleveland is a member of the M. W. A. and of the I. O. O. F., while his wife is a member of the Methodist Church. To Mr. and Mrs. Cleveland there have been born four children: Clarence C, Alfred H, Harry B. and Minnie C.
Mr. Cleveland is one of the men whose labors have made the beautiful Beeman Flat country prosperous and productive of great wealth, and he is a leader in excellent farming and is a man of ability and stands well with his fellows.
Source: An Illustrated History of Northern Idaho, Embracing Nez Perce, Idaho, Latah, Kootenai and Shoshone Counties, Western Historical Publishing Company, 1903