Lewis Sanders is at the present time one of the capable men of Melrose, having a machine shop, where he is working up a fine patronage. Formerly, he was well known in the milling business but since his property was destroyed by fire, he has turned his attention to mechanics, being skilled in that work. Mr. Sanders is a man of integrity and uprightness and is reckoned one of the substantial and leading citizens of this community.
Lewis Sanders was born in Texas County, Missouri, on February 14, 1866, being the son of Jefferson and Elizabeth (Fry) Sanders, natives respectively of Missouri and Kentucky. The father was a pioneer in Missouri and died there in 1884. The mother still lives in that state.
Lewis worked at home as a dutiful son and attended the schools until he was nineteen and then he went to railroading on the M. K. & T. lines. Following this for a time he soon drifted west to San Bernardino. He returned from there to visit in his native place and on August 9, 1889, he came west to Waverly, Washington, where he devoted his attention to farming until 1896. At that date, Mr. Sanders came to the reservation and took land near Melrose and farmed it for five years; at the same time he operated a flour mill which he and his brother-in-law, George Allen, built. For four years they operated the mill with good success and then it was destroyed by fire. Then Mr. Sanders sold his farm property and opened a machine shop in Melrose, where we find him at the present time.
In July, 1891, while in Washington, Mr. Sanders married Miss Frances, daughter of Isaac and Esther Huffman, natives of Virginia. Mrs. Sanders was also born in the Old Dominion State, on February 13, 1866. She has one sister and three brothers living, while, Mr. Sanders has three brothers and two sisters.
Fraternally, Mr. Sanders affiliates with the I. O. O. F. and the M. W. A. In political matters he is allied with the Democrats and takes an interest in all measures that are calculated for the benefit of the country and its progress.
Source: An Illustrated History of Northern Idaho, Embracing Nez Perce, Idaho, Latah, Kootenai and Shoshone Counties, Western Historical Publishing Company, 1903