This well known business man and representative pioneer of the County of Nez Perces, as also of other sections of the west, is among the leading and prominent men of our country and although formerly one of the most active business men of Lewiston, is now retired from the arena and is enjoying the competence which his industry has accumulated.
Mr. Squier was born in Weathersfield, Vermont, on May 9, 1835, being the son of John and Louisa A. (Kendall) Squier. The father was a marble worker and engraver, born in Vermont, on March 18, 1807, being of English extraction. He died on May 15, 1885. The mother was born January 31, 1811, and died July 5, 1890, in Vermont.
The subject of this sketch received a good common school and seminary education and at the age of seventeen was employed as clerk in a country store in Vermont. Two years later, led by an adventurous spirit to the west, he went to St. Clair, Michigan, and thence to Lexington, clerking two years in each place. It was 1858 when he determined to try San Francisco, and came there via Panama. He went thence to Oroville, Butte County, and engaged in placer mining for two years. Failing of success in that venture, he then came, in 1862, overland to Portland, and in July enlisted in the Washington Territory Volunteer Infantry, understanding the regiment was to go east. He was taken to Vancouver instead, and was detailed as clerk in the quartermaster’s department. In December, the company was ordered to The Dalles, to relieve Company A. of the Ninth Infantry, which was sent east. Mr. Squier remained in the quartermaster’s department until his term of service expired in July, 1865. He had charge of the quartermaster and commissary department during his time of service and after his discharge he was appointed quartermaster’s clerk at The Dalles. In November, 1865, he was sent to Fort Lapwai, Idaho, where he remained until the abandonment of that post. He then came to Lewiston, traveled some, and in 1869 settled here permanently.
He was appointed United States district clerk for the first judicial district of Idaho territory, in May, 1871, under the territorial government, and for sixteen years, or until 1887, he served in that capacity. He was one year in the United States land office, was County treasurer for two years and has held various municipal offices.
During the Indian war in 1877, he was quartermaster’s clerk for the depot at Lewiston. Since that time Mr. Squier has been in various lines of business until 1896, when he had a partial stroke of paralysis and then he retired from active business. He owns considerable city property, one business house, and ranches in various quarters.
The marriage of Mr. Squier and Louise Beck was solemnized in Lewiston, in November, 1876. Mr. Squier has brothers and sisters as follows: Delos K., in Newark, New Jersey; Frances L., deceased; Stella A., wife of Albert M. Whitelow, living in Vermont. Mr. and Mrs. Squier have become the parents of two children, Leslie E., attending the dental department of the University of Pennsylvania; Elton K., in Lewiston.
Mr. Squier is a member of the A. O. U. W., the I. O. O. F., and the A. F. and A. M., blue lodge and chapter, having been allied with the latter order since 1868. Politically, he is a Republican. Mr. Squire is an affable and genial gentleman, has seen much of the frontier life and has done much for the advancement and up building of this County.
Source: An Illustrated History of Northern Idaho, Embracing Nez Perce, Idaho, Latah, Kootenai and Shoshone Counties, Western Historical Publishing Company, 1903