Emanuel Vadney, M. D., is one of the earliest pioneers to settle in the bright little town of Morrow, where he is now conducting a lucrative practice and also conducting a drug store, which is one of the thriving business establishments of the town.
Emanuel Vadney was born in Albany, New York, on October 5, 1858, being the son of Augustus and Elizabeth (Calderhovre) Vadney. The father was born in Paris, France, in 1822 and died in 1867. He came to the United States in 1839, was a graduate of the Homeopathic Institute in France, and was examining physician for the government during the Civil war. He was a professor in the Homeopathic Institute in Albany and a prominent physician. The mother of our subject was born in Albany County. New York, and died when Emanuel was an infant. Her father, George Vanderhovre, built and owned the Chicago hotel which was destroyed by the fire and afterwards rebuilt. He died in 1898.
Our subject grew to young manhood in Albany and after completing a literary course took a thorough course in the Homeopathic Institute where his father was professor. Then he went to Chico, California, and later returned to Chicago and took a four year course in the Independent Medical College of that city. Being thus excellently fortified for life’s work, he came to Chico, then being twenty-six, and later removed to Milton. He practiced there and in Baker City for eight years and then removed to Boise, where he followed his profession for two years. In 1897 Dr. Vadney came to Morrow, and since that time has continued here with good success and also being held in high esteem among the people.
On May 16, 1884, in Milton, Oregon, Dr. Vadney married Miss Carrie C, daughter of Levi R. and Cecilia (Vanattin) Mock, natives of Albany County, New York. They are Holland Dutch extraction. Mrs. Vadney was born in Chico, California, in 1870 and has the following brothers and sisters: Jacob, John J., Fannie Kirkpatrick, Dr. Vadney has one brother and one sister, George E., Camilla V. Four children have been born to this union: George E., Augustus, Albert E., Bertha C, all at home.
Dr. Vadney is a member of the I. O. O. F. and has passed all the chairs. He is also a member of the M. W. A. He is a Republican and active in the campaigns. In addition to his business mentioned above, the Doctor owns real estate in various places and is prosperous. He is and has been for some time a member of the school board and has always shown himself an advocate of good schools. He contributed seventy dollars towards the new school house and is ever found a progressive and public minded citizen.
Source: An Illustrated History of Northern Idaho, Embracing Nez Perce, Idaho, Latah, Kootenai and Shoshone Counties, Western Historical Publishing Company, 1903