Charles and George Dale and are two of the well known citizens of the vicinity of Leland, having a ranch in company adjoining the town on the west. They have one hundred and twenty acres and utilize it mostly in raising wheat, but handle about ten acres to orchard. They are expecting to go more extensively to raising hogs, as it seems wise to feed as much of the grain as possible to stock.
Charles H. Dale was born in McKeesport, Pennsylvania, on March 18, 1867, being the son of George P. and Jennie (Miller) Dale, natives of the same state. The mother died when our subject was two days old; he being an only child. He was raised by his grandmother until ten and then he went to live with his father, who married a second time. The father was a expert ship builder and served in government employ much of the time. He is now in this capacity in San Francisco.
Charles gained his education from the public schools and when he was thirteen the family went to Arkansas and the father did ship work on the Mississippi River. He worked on the government steamers, where our subject served as waiter, later as second cook and finally as head cook. In 1885 they all came to Sprague, Washington, where the father took a ranch. They farmed and the father wrought in the railroad shops part of the time. In 1888 Charles H. went to Colton and ranched for some time. About 1892 the father went to Portland and took up ship building again and our subject freighted, rode the range and farmed and did various other work in the Coeur d’ Alene country, at Dayton, Sprague, in the John Day country and finally came to Leland where he and his father bought their present ranch.
On March 6, 1895, Mr. Dale married Miss Edith, daughter of Oxford B. and Adelia (Perkins) Owens. She was born in Pendleton in 1876 and the wedding occurred in Sprague. Mr. Owens crossed the plains with ox teams in 1849 to California and died in Pendleton in 1894. He was a prominent stock man there and had suffered great hardship in the Indian troubles. Mrs. Dale has one brother, George, in the U. S. army in the Philippines; and one sister, Lenore, wife of W. E. Lloyd, in Lewiston. Three children have been born to this marriage, George P., Bradford G., and William.
Mr. Dale is a member of the K. P., Kendrick Lodge No. 23, and of the I. O. O. F. Juliaetfe. Lodge No. 45. Mrs. Dale is a member of the Methodist Church. She was a graduate of the high school in Pendleton and was a compositor on the East Oregonian.
Source: An Illustrated History of Northern Idaho, Embracing Nez Perce, Idaho, Latah, Kootenai and Shoshone Counties, Western Historical Publishing Company, 1903