About seven miles northeast from Nezperce we find the home of the gentleman whose name is mentioned above. He is classed with the prosperous and progressive farmers of the section and has wrought here with a display of wisdom and skill which have given him the meed of a goodly portion of property, while he came here with very little property of any kind except a good stock of courage and determination.
Charles F. Stellmon was born in Greene County, Tennessee, on December 20, 1868, being the son of Henry and Elizabeth Stellmon, natives, respectively, of North Carolina and Tennessee. When Charles was nine the family removed to Washington County, Arkansas, and soon went to Benton County, where the mother died when he was twelve years old.
When our subject was sixteen he went to the Cherokee nation and later went to Bates County, Missouri, working on a farm. Later he went to various places, visited his father, and in 1887 he came to Genesee, Idaho. There and at Juliaetta and Lewiston he spent the time until the nineteenth of November, when he filed on a piece of land near Nezperce, which, however, he sold in February 1902, and purchased his present place. In 1900 he made a visit to his father in Arkansas and in June 1901, he went to Benton County, Arkansas, and there married Miss Jennie, daughter of William and Meekie Burrow. This wedding occurred on September 24, 1901, and in October they came to the home near Nezperce. In February 1902, as mentioned above, Mr. Stellmon came with his family to his present abode. This farm is a valuable piece of land, doubtless as good as any in the locality, and is handled with great skill and thrift. Mr. Stellmon has a good list of improvements, including buildings, fences, orchards, and much other valuable property. Mr. and Mrs. Stellmon are highly respected people, are intelligent and progressive and have demonstrated their qualities of worth here, which has given them numerous friends from every quarter.
Source: An Illustrated History of Northern Idaho, Embracing Nez Perce, Idaho, Latah, Kootenai and Shoshone Counties, Western Historical Publishing Company, 1903