This young and industrious farmer resides five miles southeast from Peck, on a quarter section that he secured by his homestead right, filing on it in January. 1897. Since that time Mr. Skelton has devoted himself to its culture and improvement, and he has a good farm and tills it in a skillful manner.
Arthur Skelton was born in Calhoun County, Alabama, on June 5, 1872, being the son of James J. and Mattie J. (Stewart) Skelton, natives, respectively, of Calhoun County and St. Clair County, Alabama. They were married in the latter County and resided in the former, where Mr. Skelton was a furniture dealer and also County treasurer. He served in the Civil war, all through. The grandfather, Stewart, of our subject, was a general in the Confederate army.
Arthur was educated in the common schools and the state normal at Jacksonville, and in 1892 he went west to Texas and Colorado. The following year we find him in Walla Walla, then later in Colfax, and soon in Pierce City, where he sought the smiles of fortune in mining labors. Later Mr. Skelton visited Lewiston and afterwards settled in the Potlatch country until the date mentioned, when he came and secured his present home place.
On October 14, 1896, Mr. Skelton married Miss Mary E., daughter of James V. and Elva V. Cotter, natives of Massachusetts and Pennsylvania. They came to Latah County in 1888 and Mr. Cotter died in 1894, but his widow is still living, making her home in Nez Perces County. One child has been born to Mr. and Mrs. Skelton, Daphne I., born December 11, 1898. Mrs. Skelton was born in Isabella County, Michigan, on April 8, 1876.
This young couple have done well in this County, are highly respected and are always found allied on the side of good government, progression and sound principles, being possessed of admirable integrity, affability and wisdom, which bring to them the good will and approval of all.
Source: An Illustrated History of North Idaho: Embracing Nez Perce, Idaho, Latah, Kootenai and Shoshone counties, state of Idaho; Western Historical Publishing Company, 1903