Andrew M. Johnson is a sawmill man and a machinist, dwelling about four miles southwest from Ilo, where he owns a fine quarter section” of good pine timber land and operates a sawmill. He has a good plant and does a thriving business, being a man of practical qualities and able to adapt himself to any portion of the work of the mill.
Andrew M. Johnson was born in Dallas County, Texas, on May 29, 1869, being the son of Andrew and Elna (Martinson) Johnson, natives of Sweden. The father was born January 10, 1837, came to this country and did contracting on the Texas Pacific, was one of the pioneer settlers in the Big Bend country and died in October, 1806. In addition to our subject there were born to this couple the following named children: Nels T., born in Sweden, on April 2. 1867, being now a mining man; Mauritz C. born in Texas, on January 15, 1879; Amos E., born in Denton County, Texas, in 1881.
Our subject started out for himself when seventeen, prospected and worked in the Okanogan country and two years later he went to Colfax and there farmed until the spring of 1896, when he came to the Nez Perces reservation and filed a homestead. He relinquished in 1899 and filed another homestead where he now lives. After he sold his first place, Mr. Johnson bought an interest in the Fletcher roller flour mills but sold that property six months later. Then he established his present sawmills plant and to the prosecution of this business he has devoted his time and energies since. Mr. Johnson is one of the substantial and capable men of this section and is numbered with the progressive and industrious citizens of the County.
On October 12, 1902, Mr. Johnson married Miss Lillie Wright, whose parents are mentioned elsewhere in this volume. The wedding occurred in Nez Perces County. In politics, Mr. Johnson is a Republican and is well posted on the questions of the day.
Source: An Illustrated History of North Idaho: Embracing Nez Perce, Idaho, Latah, Kootenai and Shoshone counties, state of Idaho; Western Historical Publishing Company, 1903