The industrious mechanic, whose name initiates this paragraph, is one of the substantial laborers on the reservation who have made it one of the most thrifty spots in Idaho. He is operating a blacksmith shop in Melrose, in partnership with Mr. Coker, having taken up this industry in [une, 1902. In addition Mr. Richardson has a fine farm about two miles northwest from town where he is bestowing much thought and capital. It is a good piece of land taken from the wild, and is being made one of the valuable and highly improved estates of the county. It contains a good orchard, is improved in a becoming manner, and is now handled through hired help directed by Mr. Richardson in addition to his shop work.

Aaron J. Richardson was born in Benton County, Oregon, on January 28, 1864, being the son of Richard C. and Sarah E. Richardson. The father was born in Missouri in 1834 is now a resident of Nez Perces County. He is a pioneer in Oregon and took his part in the Indian wars. The mother of our subject was born in Missouri in 1840 and died in 1886.

Aaron remained with his parents until twenty, then came to Pullman for himself and there wrought at blacksmithing, ranching, carpentering and so forth, until 1898 which was the date of his advent to the reservation country. He selected his present place and has taken hold with his hands and has done a commendable work in improvement and in building up.

Mr. Richardson is a member of the M. W. A., Melrose Camp No. 6216. He is a Democrat in politics but never strives for personal advancement in that realm. He has the following brothers and sisters: Zerilda A., at San Francisco: Thomas J., in this County; Victoria, in Benton County, Oregon; Sidney, in Idaho County; Laura, in Oregon; Tolbert, in Whitman County: Sarah, living near Salem, Oregon, Charles, Henry, Mary, Jesse, and Emery, all in Nez Perces County.

Back to: Nez Perce Biographies

Source: An Illustrated History of Northern Idaho, Embracing Nez Perce, Idaho, Latah, Kootenai and Shoshone Counties, Western Historical Publishing Company, 1903